Paris Driver Attacked by Cabbies
  • People often ask me, "what is it like to be an uber driver?"  I relate to them a few of my interesting experiences. But nothing compares to this Parisian driver's experience yesterday!  

Paris Cab 

Paris cab drivers weren't ready for the taste of freedom they got when they went on strike this week.  The thugs were so used to having a monopoly on automobile transportation that they went into a rage when Uber drivers started filling in the gaps after they went on strike. Paris cabbies were infuriated when they saw Uber drivers picking up passengers at the airport during their strike.  So infuriated in fact, that they physically and violently attacked an Uber car near Charles de Gaulle Airport yesterday morning.  They "smashed a window, damaged the car hood and slashed a tire" according to TechCrunch. Fortunately, no one was hurt, "but the attack was very violent" according to eyewitness Kat Borlongan.

TechCrunch reports that, "This morning hundreds of taxi drivers were protesting near Paris airports against urban transportation services, such as Uber, LeCab, Chauffeur-Privé, Drive, Snapcar and Allocab. They demand a series of laws due to unfair competition.  In France, you have to pay a hefty price to get your taxi license. According to them, being a black car driver is much more lucrative than being a taxi driver, and the government should address that."

What it is that Parisian cab drivers really can't stand is freedom!  They can't bear the thought of people actually having a choice between hailing a traditional cab on the street, or hailing a private car from their phones.  And like many Europeans, they despise competition. Although it's competition that brings better services, better prices and more choices to everyone.

Instead of attacking Uber drivers, maybe they should join them.  Although, I'm not sure Uber would would want them!